Friday, July 18, 2008

It's Been Awhile...

4th of July Weekend
It seems like forever since I've updated! I have a handful of stories to tell about the last couple of weeks. We spent the 4th of July weekend up at camp. Allen even played at the Lube Room up there on Saturday afternoon and I took the kids down to go see him. It awesome. It was the first time they'd ever actually seen him play. It was a busy weekend, but fun. It was Allen, the kids, my niece, Allen's friend, Allen's sister, her girlfriend, and me. A fun time was had by all, but we had an "incident" occur Saturday night. So the kids, Allen's sister, her girlfriend and I actually only stayed for the first set. We headed back to camp afterward had dinner roasted some marshmallows and then I put the kids to bed. Only problem is, the next door neighbors. Ok, so allow me to explain these campsites. They are leased sites, not public campgrounds, and most of them have been in the leasing family 3 or 4 generations. So when the grandson of the man next door showed up with 30 (I'm so not exaggerating) of his closest friends, I knew there was going to be a rumble. Their party was very close to the tent where we were sleeping. I got all "mama's gonna knock you out" on their asses and gave them some serious attitude each time I had to go over and tell them to shut up. Especially when they started puking and peeing all over the place outside the tent.

On the plus side it was just us girls for the evening (me, my sister-in-law and her girlfriend), and boy did we just kill ourselves talking shit around the campfire. Don't you just love those giggle fits? We had some fun making fun of the teenagers next door. Karma says that by the time they're old enough to be going up there with their own kids, Patrick & Cheyanne will be up there with their teenage friends...Ha Ha.

My Niece
The whole week after 4th of July, my niece stayed with us. She's ten and teh sweetest little girl around. the house seems empty now that she's gone back. The kids think the whole world revolves around her. They miss her terribly and are already planning her next visit. Hopefully it will be sooner than later.

On Writing
So after a number of months of trying I finally got accepted into the first stage of prep for a position at the New York times owned About.com. It's been a lot of work this last week or so, but hopefully it's been enough to get me into the second stage of prep, and then actually get me the job. The site I'll be running is soap operas (yay!) and it's going to be a nice step in the right direction of eventually be able to write full time. Me and my charming ways got an interview with Eden Riegel from All my Children to submit to my editor, so that will hopefully give me an edge over the other candidates I'm competing with. Please keep your fingers crossed. I also submitted some poetry to a greeting card company (Blue Mountain) and they sent me an acceptance letter! It was just like in the movies when the author receives the big manila envelope in the mail that says "Congratulations Mrs. Writer..." When they do get around to publishing it (which could take awhile) It could be up to three-hundred bucks! It's all happening...

Imaginary Bitches
Ok so speaking of Eden Reigel, have you seen Imaginary Bitches? OMG! It's like SATC meets Sybil. HILARIOUS. It's a web series that can be seen on youtube or their website, check it out now!!

My Dad
My dad finally finished his chemo and radiation. It was the worst round of them all, of course. But he's finally on the mend and sounding more and more like himself everyday. He has yet to go in for all the follow up stuff to see how well the treatment worked, so it's all back in the hands of fate. I pray for him to be better everyday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was happy to see that you are a fan of Eden's as well. I really love her new online series and can't wait to see her cooking show! I enjoyed your blog, thanks :)

Christina said...

That's awesome about About.com. Good to hear your dad is doing better. I've been wondering about him. I've gotta do some catchup on my own blog soon but I don't feel like writing lately. Maybe it's because of the exhausting heat wave we've had on the East Coast this past week.