Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving's Lost Tooth


Well Thanksgiving has come and gone. Lots of warm fuzzy moments like any other Thanksgiving. But there was one incident that will probably make this Thanksgiving stick out in our collective memories more than others. It was the year my brother knocked out my son’s tooth.

Ok, so it’s not as exciting as it sounds. The frickin tooth was hanging by a thread for weeks, and my son would not let us take any extreme measures to yank it out. Turns out all it took was a wrestling match with good ol Uncle Jamie to get it to fall out. It was quite funny really. They were wrestling around on the floor (against my wishes I might add, I’m the mom always threatening that someone’s going to lose an eye, or tooth…)

Our of nowhere my son turned into the dad from A Christmas Story (Don’t Anybody Move!!) and was scanning the floor with this very intent look on his face. We all stopped.

“What’s up buddy?” I asked him. He looked up and smiled, revealing that his tooth has fallen out. We found it on the floor and carefully placed it in his special little tooth fairy tooth holder, and put it up for safe keeping until the tooth fairy could come.

This is his second tooth; the first came out in September. Not that I didn’t think it was a big deal, but I didn’t realize what a bog deal it really was until he actually lost that first tooth. What a milestone. It was his bottom front tooth on the right side. I sweat that’s where his very first tooth came in back when he was a baby, but I can’t be sure.

Now his big boy tooth is almost halfway in, with a big hole next to it where Uncle Jamie knocked out his left front bottom tooth. You think that sounds funny? So did his kindergarten teacher when he told her about it after the holiday. Ha Ha.

Seriously though, as I poured through the contents of my purse to count out money for the tooth fairy to leave under his pillow (a measly $3 is all he got this time, times are tough, even for the Tooth Fairy) I couldn’t help but think about what a big deal it was when that first tooth came in. And now, his adult tooth is coming in?

When did he get so big? How did these last 5 ½ years fly by in just a blink?

You see, this is the problem with both Santa and the tooth fairy, they always leave you misty-eyed.

No comments: