Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Letter to the President-Elect

Dear Mr. President-Elect Obama,

First, allow me to say congratulations a well-fought campaign. You worked hard, chose wisely in the people you kept around you, and believed in yourself and your country. You deserve the title of President. You have thanked the many of us that supported you in this campaign, and we are appreciative of those thanks. But none are necessary.

Mr. Preseident-Elect, I do not envy the job you are about to begin. An entire population of people has laid their hopes and dreams at your feet. Your name will forever be the name that comes at the end of every textbook that tells the tale of Civil Rights. You have had more expectations and responsibilities placed on your shoulders than any one man ever should. How you carry that weight is up to you.

I can only imagine what George Washington must have felt the day after he became the first President of our great country. Looking out his window saying to himself, "God, please help me get this right." If I may be so bold, I imagine a part of you is quietly saying the same thing.

I hope you are saying that, in fact. Because if you are, then it means you can feel the weight of the world on your shoulders. If you can feel it, then for as long as you reside in the White House, you will remember that it's there.

I believe that you will do great things. I believe that you may not be able to accomplish all that you set out to do, but only because of the limitations that Washington can create.

I also believe that, though so much of what people attribute to your historic status is he color of your skin, you being where you are has nothing to do with the color of your skin, and more to do with destiny. I think that you were destined to be here, no matter what the color of your skin may be.

I also believe that my children, who are white, will be the most color-blind generation ever to grace the streets of our nation. I believe they will suffer from less ignorance than any generation that has come before them.

And I believe they will judge people on the content of their character, not on the color of their skin.

I believe that they will be that way because for them, you will not be the first "African-American" President. For them and the entire generation of school-age children across the land, you will simply be their First President.

And that, Mr. President-Elect, is what will make this country suddenly leap forward and achieve great things while you are in office.

That is why I voted for you. That is why I pledge my support and good wishes to you and your family on this journey that we are all about to begin together.

Go ahead and begin, because we are ready. We are ready.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was amazing and heartfelt. Wow.