Friday, January 2, 2009

Life Moves Pretty Fast

It seems so strange to sit and watch home videos of my little guy when he was just a baby. When I think back on what my life was like and what it's like now. How does 5 years just happen so fast? I think the day-to-day life is just so damn busy that we totally let time just slip through our fingers. Do you ever have those "once in a lifetime moments"? You know the song from Crowded House? Those moments when you just stop and look around, and wonder how the hell did I get here?

7 years ago I was just a chick who worked in an office and lived in a one bedroom duplex, who chain-smoked and liked to stay up late. Now I'm a mom of not just one but two kids. I own my own daycare, live in a 4-bedroom house and get paid to write. And haven't had a cigarette in 6 years. Holy crap.

I have been letting the days go by. I think in the early years of my son’s life I tried to hold on to as many days as I could. But as life got busier, I let more and more day’s just slip by. Not anymore. One of my goals for the year is to not let that happen as much. I need to not get caught up so much in other stuff and just enjoy these days with my kids. They're five and six, but they won't be forever. And 7 years from now when I look back on home videos of this year, I don't want to wonder where the time went.

I want to know exactly where my time went, and I want to be happy about it.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from one Mr. Ferris Bueller.
"Life moves pretty fast, and if you don't stop and look around once in awhile you might miss it."

2 comments:

Christina said...

See? The best education comes from the entertainment industry.

Meghan said...

Especially John Hughes created entertainment! LOL