Monday, January 5, 2009

Why I Hate the Internet... Sometimes

So there I was minding my business today, tweeting away, working and doing stuff around the house. Someone sends a tweet, What are your thoughts on the end of the world, w/a link to a YouTube video. OK, so my thoughts on the end of the world are pretty simple. It sounds pretty crappy, and scares the crap out of me. Seriously. You want to know what the scariest movies in the world are to me? Red Dawn & The Day After Tomorrow. That's right. That end of the world, World War III, earthquakes, tsunamis and stuff makes my skin crawl every time.

So when I saw this tweet with a link about the end of the world it peeked my interest. So I watched this video about the end of the world, which as it turns out is December 21, 2012. Right before Christmas. Bummer.



I may joke, but this stuff really does scare the hell out of me. December 2012 is like 4 years away. That's not very far. And from the looks of the video it's going to be straight out of Day After Tomorrow. Holy end of days Batman! So I got myself all in a tiff over this stupid video. In my head I sounded like a little Red Hen. "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" Then I got online and found that there were a number of sites dedicated to 2012. Many of the most popular run by people selling "survival kits".

Selling. Survival. Kits.

Suddenly I'm not so scared. As it turns out a big part of the whole "12-21-12" thing is people making money off other people's fears. So what else is new? Anyhow if the end of the world is in 2012, you won't have to worry about me. I've seen Red Dawn. I know how to live off the land. Wolverines!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just watched Knowing and was looking up the FAQs on IMDB. I cam across a question that related to the date you wrote about here..well, except the date they refered to was 12/20/12 instead of 12/21/12. A day earlier...weird!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448011/faq

Meghan said...

The official date is actually 12-21-12 (google it or watch the video)
The person on IMDB was probably thinking of the date given for the end of the world in Ghostbusters, which is actually the day before, 12-20-12...
Spoooooooky... LOL