Sunday, May 25, 2008

Knocked Up & Snuffed...

First off, I have a startling admission to make. In an earlier post in regards to my favorite show of all time, 21 Jump Street, being made into a movie I made a few "comments" about not being a Judd Apatow fan (see post here). It was wrong of me to be so quick to judge, having not actually seen any of his bigger movies. I say this because last night I saw Knocked Up. I had absolutely no inclination to see it when it came out in theaters or DVD. I prefer my "unplanned pregnancy freak out" movies with a little Hugh Grant in them for good measure (Nine Months). Be that as it may, while channel surfin last night I came across Knocked Up only about 15 minutes into it. I decided to forego my pre-conceived notion of it being guy humor, and give it a shot. I'm glad I did.

So maybe I'm still not convinced that Judd Apatow is the comic genius of our generation (That's right Entertainment Weekly, I will not bow to your every whim!), I have to say I was impressed. The dialogue and characters were eerily realistic, which I guess is good for Apatow, maybe bad for me... Infact the characters were too realistically written, if that makes any sense. It almost seemed strange to have characters in a movie talking, so normally. There was a lot of cussing, and some of the jokes were potty humor, and some of the mean things said during the fights, well none of them came across forced, it all came across very normal.

Also being that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Paul Rudd, I couldn't help but enjoy Knocked Up.

I still say NO to 21 Jump Street being a comedy (I'm putting together a petition that should be floating around the internet shortly), and Jonah Hill, well I'm still not happy about his involvement. I'm convinced that Seth Rogan would do a much better Penhall than Jonah Hill. Again, as long as it's not a comedy... Anyhow, apologies to Apatow and the guys...

Friday night we made a trip to Borders. It's been tooooo long since I've been to a book store. I could've walked around there for hours and hours. I picked up Chuck Palahniuck's new one, Snuff. I've only got about 30 pages left. Good book, creepy subject matter as always. Like I always say, with Chuck, it's about how he writes that captivates me, not so much what he writes. He could write stereo instructions and I'd be enthralled!

I also took Patrick on his first trip to the comic book store, Fantasy Books & Games. I don't think he realized that there was a store for all things Superhero related. It was kind of cool. When I was a kid, it was called Fact, Fiction, And Fantasy, and was the most awesome place in the world. I used to love going there, and browsing the fantasy books forever!!!

JamsBio is holding a contest of sorts. They're trying to get people to generate traffic, and whoever gets the most traffic to their memories gets some cool prizes (I don't know what, but I'm hoping for concert tickets)! So if you haven't checked it out yet, or are looking for something to kill some time, check out my latest memories over on JamsBio.

Girlfriends

Pearl Jam Live In Concert... Or Not

Yet Another View

The Song Remembers

Of course you can always scan my entire JamsBio and check out whatever strikes your fancy, by using the widget at the top of this page...

Happy Memorial Day Kids!

No comments: